Yukon XL Questions and Build advice

This sounds awesome.

2 Likes

On a past project I used magnetic tape for the “blinds” to attach to the sides of the window. (see here for an example)

The tape I used had adhesive on one side which I stuck to the van. The other oppositely charged strip was inserted in to a sewn “fold over” on the curtain edge. Both were placed vertical. Easy to put up and remove when needed :slight_smile: In case my “instructions” are not all that clear I found this tutorial on making a tarp. Hop down to STEP 6 and note the hem diagram. I slipped the magnetic tape into the fold that was sewn lol.

3 Likes

So, after going over all the messages, most of this looked like the best bet was to see something together with one of the types of reflective material.

Unfortunately, I don’t have a sewing machine, nowhere rents them or has them for use.

So, I went with a good old black felt with a few sticky Velcro tabs around the windows. Not going to block all the light but I care about privacy more than my sun alarm clock. Not a bad fix. I’m going to cut them down a little better later to clean them up but for now this works just perfectly.

And when I drive I can just pull it off the tops and sides and let it hang.

2 Likes

That looks amazing. Great idea here!

Magnetic tape sounds like a great solution to a lot of things! Hah. When I get to upgrading my current solution? I’m going to give that a shot.

The good stuff will hold well too. I used to use it when installing retro double glazing - perspex sheets held against the window frame with the tape so they could be easily removed for cleaning etc :slight_smile:

1 Like