Windows & keeping bugs out

I just got glue gunned magnets around a bed fly net I cut up. They then magnet too the metal wall of my van.

2 Likes

For the doors you can maybe consider getting something like this:
Capture

I belive they are called magnetic screen doors. It’s going to be hard to find one to fit the size of your van doors. But after searching around a bit you should come across one that fits.

I saw asked some vanlifers who were using it on their sprinter van where they got it from, and they said amazon.

3 Likes

Hi Jordan – what kind of van?

We had the same problem and just finished making custom bug screens, by adapting ones on Amazon designed for home use. The sizes we spec’d worked for our 2011 Sprinter, but the basic steps should work for any vehicle. Here’s our write-up if you’re interested:

No sewing involved, and we use rare earth magnets to stick the screens to the van.

• One comment on Velcro: We thought it would work, but the adhesive side just wouldn’t hold. Especially in hot climates – when you want the doors open – the vehicle heats up under the sun, the velcro’s adhesive side starts melting, and the screens fall down. Rare earth magnets don’t have that problem.

Best of luck!
Nick

3 Likes

Thanks so much Nick! Good advice on the Velcro we are currently sweltering and suspect it will be very hot in Mexico so will avoid using it.

So handy have a blog post! Will read it today

2 Likes

@Wherethewildgo
The bug screens is what I was talking about in my reply as well. But I forgot to add a picture haha. Thanks for sharing @VantasticMedia

1 Like

I forgot to attach a picture as well! Here you go!

2 Likes

Checkout this post:

I found a solution on youtube, that costs $1.97 per window. There is a product at home depot that’s a gutter guard. Hope it’s OK to add a link. I found these at the local location.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Amerimax-Home-Products-3-ft-White-Snap-In-Filter-Gutter-Guard-86270BX/100520851

So it’s plastic, with a ridge, with smaller plastic mesh (insect size) glued inside.

With this, I cut it the size of the window.

When putting them on, I put the ridge on the window side and roll the windows up, with this going where the window normally fits.

1 Like

That’s a pretty effective solution + a good price!

We have ended up buying a role of mosquito netting that we are going to install above the doors and will roll down and use magnets to stay in place. It’s slightly not wide enough so might need to cut and do a bit of sewing but we will see! I’ll post a photo once it’s installed!

1 Like

Sounds interesting.

Could you share a pic

When I finally get my van and do the conversion, I plan to eventually have the following installed-

they are located in Canada, click on the French flag at the top to change to English.
Their system uses magnets. They do the install in Canada, but I read somewhere if they have several installs to do at say a US RV rally location, they will come to you.
Not cheap, but reviews I’ve read indicate you more than get what you pay for quality wise.
Hope this helps.
Nomadic1

is the magnet strong enough to hold it if my dog runs through the netting

Greetings!

If they’re like some I’ve seen they are kind of automatically self closing…

Cheers!

"Be the reason someone smiles today!" ~ Van_Dweller

1 Like

oops. i didn’t came back forum to check for reply after i posted. @Van_Dweller sorry about that.
in the end i google and read abt bloggers’ posts

too bad i already bought 1 as my dogs keep spoiling the older mosquito net screen doors i have a previous years to keep the insects out.
EDIT: this is the thread that got me interested in projectvanlife so I thought I update a little on the magnetic screen door I bought. I got it online from a insect magnetic screen net door website.
Pretty fast delivery, received in 4 days. quality is normal, nothing to shout at. the dog can run through it without me having to open and close after her! happiness for me and she! :smiley:

Greetings!

A friend has some similar and really likes them. I have opening windows all the way around, so I just use window screens and never leave my doors open…

Cheers!

"Smiles are contagious, pass it on!" ~ Van_Dweller

heh! i have a dog who is too big to exit via the window. HAHAHAHA :stuck_out_tongue:

Greetings!

Pictures? I love em, just don’t have any at the moment…

Cheers!

1 Like

eh. i try. i am a little bad at taking photos… hahaha plus need to learn how to get the links maybe lol

Greetings!

hehe… No problem, I don’t even own a camera anymore…

1 Like